Futuro Hing Powder (Perungayam):
- The powder form of the magical Indian spice asafoetida is hing powder. Its origination is from Rome but it been used in Indian ayurvedic medicines for ages.
- This spice creates a taste and aroma that you will not get in any other foods in which hing is not an ingredient. People use it widely in Indian cuisine in powder form. Hing when uncooked is very pungent but gives a very nice strong flavor to the food after cooking.
- When cooked, hing’s pungent odour mellows to a more mild leek- and garlic-like flavor. It smooths out the aroma of all the other spices and makes them all very pleasant. Asafoetida is essential in Indian cooking and people use it a lot in dals and sambars together with other spices like turmeric.
- People use it in various forms such as asafoetida powder, paste, and oil. Its root has many medicinal properties because of which people use it as an ingredient in traditional medicines. some use it as a substitute in the place of onion and garlic.
- Hing being rich in fiber acts as a digestive aid. It provides relief from stomach problems like gastritis, bloating, abdominal pain, and promotes overall.
- It contains coumarin, a compound that aids in improving blood flow, thereby lowering blood pressure level.
- Mix a pinch of asafoetida, fenugreek powder, and a pinch of salt in a cup of buttermilk and consume it during periods. It relieves menstrual pain
- Mix garlic and hing paste and apply on insect bites and stings for better healing
- Asafoetida together with almond oil and curd hair masks do wonder for dry and frizzy hair.
Store it in an airtight container. If left open it loses its fragrance. o not let any moisture in, Else it turns out bad.
Note: Use hing in the right quantity because even a bit too much can make the whole dish taste bitter