Futuro Sigappu Aval | Flattened Rice:
- Sigappu arisi aval which is flattened rice or red poha in Hindi is one of the versatile grain. There are a variety of rice flakes available in the market based on their thickness.
Its making process includes by first par-boiling the red rice and pounding it to remove the husk and flattening it. It is available in the form of rice flakes too. It is one of the healthiest meals for office goers and other workers.
- Sigappu aval has high nutrition value as compared to white poha. People prefer making spice recipes using this poha than sweet recipes. Add sprouts, soya nuggets, peanuts, and even boiled eggs with poha to make a well-balanced and high-protein meal.
- People use it to prepare snacks or easy fast food by adding vegetables, spices, and/or nuts. Many make into sweet or savory breakfast options or even into nutritious balls.
- One of the quickest, easiest and famous poha recipe is red Poha upma:
Rinse the aval, soak it in water for a while, drain and set aside. Grind coconut and green chilies into the mixture without adding water. Heat oil in a pan, transfer this mixture, add salt, add mustard seeds, finely chopped onions and saute for few minutes. After which add poha and toss it well until the poha is cooked. Sprinkle curry leaves and serve hot.
- Poha is rich in carbohydrates which makes our body strong and energetic hence it is a perfect breakfast option
- This poha is also a rich source of iron and hence it is advisable for pregnant women should include this in their regular diets.
- Poha is a good meal for people with diabetics
- Poha is a perfect dish in a weight loss diet because it has a fewer amount of calories and rich in nutrients.