Futuro Karuppu Kavuni Arisi (Black Kavuni Rice):
- Rice is an essential part of the Asian palette. There exist various varieties of rice on among which is black rice which is karuppu kavuni arisi in Tamil. It has another name ” The forbidden rice” there exists a history behind this name. Black rice has a deep black color and usually turns deep purple when cooked.
- The deep black or the purple hue of the black rice is a marker of its high antioxidant properties. Similar to blackberries and blueberries, they appear deeper in color because of their high content of anti-oxidants. Mostly people prefer black rice for preparing desserts.
- White rice loses its nutrient contents in the process of milling. Hence it is better to switch to healthier alternatives like brown rice, red rice, and quinoa. Since black rice doesn’t undergo any refining or processing, it can retain vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The grain has a similar amount of fiber to brown rice and, like brown rice, has a mild, nutty taste.
- The fiber content in this rice helps prevent constipation, diarrhea, and bloating.
- For people battling obesity, black rice is the best variant for the rice to consume. Full of fiber, black rice not only gives you the feeling of being full, thus preventing overeating;
- Eating black kavuni rice may have a positive impact on your healthy cholesterol levels too.
- Black rice contains antioxidants that have been shown to help protect against heart disease.
- Compared to white rice this rice contains a minimum of sugar, therefore doesn’t come dramatic fluctuations in blood sugar level.
- Moms who give their baby breastfeeding are recommended to consume black rice. Because it increases the production of breast milk.